Color Impacts the View of Breaking Bad

Image source: TV Insider

Cole Tarrant, Broadcasting Editor

What is Color Psychology? Color Psychology is the study of how certain colors impact human behaviors.

An example of how color psychology works is in the AMC series, Breaking Bad. The show revolves around chemistry teacher Walter White and his former student Jesse Pinkman. Color is a re-occurring theme in Breaking Bad. Each character wears a color which represents their personality and emotions.

In the beginning, Walter White was a very bland person. He commonly wore beige, indicating that he was simple and not a threat. Throughout the story, White’s color changes.

For instance, Walter White started wearing more yellow when he progressed in the drug business. Another common color used was green. Green symbolized money as well as change.

Throughout Breaking Bad, Jesse Pinkman was Walter White’s partner in the drug business. Pinkman was known for his childlike presence and innocence. In Breaking Bad Pink stands for childlike innocence, which relates to Jesse’s last name Pinkman.

In Breaking Bad, orange defines danger or anything that is a threat to Walter White. For instance, Hank Schrader, Walter White’s brother-in-law, is known for wearing orange shirts throughout the season. As the show progressed Hank Schrader was White’s main threat in being caught for his crimes.

Walter White’s wife Skyler, wore blue, expressing her loyalty to him. However, as Skyler learned more and more about Walter’s drug business, her blue color faded along with her loyalty.

In the show, the color purple connects with royalty. Walter’s sister in law, Marie surrounded herself in purple to express her wealth and her need for the finer things in life. White symbolized purity in Breaking Bad.

At first, Walter White was known as a more pure and innocent man. As the show progressed, however, he lost his innocence and started to dress in black. Walter’s transition from white to black symbolized darkness, power, secrecy, and death. This proves how Color Psychology is an important aspect of Breaking Bad.