• November 10Interact Club meets the 1st and 3rd Monday of the Month
  • November 10Calliope meets the 1st and 3rd Wednesday in the Library
  • November 10Anime Club meets every Tuesday and Thursday after school
The student news site of Alton High School

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Link Crew Delivers Smiles

Ava Pauli
Link leader Ava Boley gives out cookies.

On March 6, the Link Crew team organized a special reward to celebrate the end of the third quarter for freshmen. To show appreciation and congratulations, the team distributed cookies. Starting high school can be overwhelming, but the Link Crew program is there to provide support and guidance to freshmen. The program is made up of senior and junior students who are specially trained to help underclassmen transition from middle school to high school. With the help of Link Crew Leaders, the incoming freshmen can navigate high school with ease.

Link crew leaders walked around with large baskets filled with AHS’s signature cookies to give away to the students. The event took place in the school’s lunch area, where the students were gathered in groups or sitting alone. As the leaders walked around, they handed out cookies to the students and briefly checked their progress. Although some students were disappointed that the cookies were only for freshmen, the overall atmosphere was positive and welcoming.

Junior Link Crew leader, Harmony Lovett shared her observations about the recent event, saying, “It was nice to see all the freshmen getting excited about getting free cookies. They seemed really excited.” Although some freshmen were initially unaware of the event, they couldn’t wait to participate once they learned about it. Many of them approached the leaders with big smiles on their faces, and some even expressed gratitude for the gesture. The leaders noticed that some freshmen were nervous about showing their IDs, but they quickly put them at ease with their friendly and welcoming demeanor.

Junior Link Crew leader, Aanya Sharpe recently shared her thoughts about a new activity that was started at her school.  “I thought that bringing the cookies was a great way to connect with our freshmen and check-in with them to see how their year was going so far,” Aanya said. As a Junior student, Sharpe found this to be a wonderful way to reach out to new students and make them feel welcome in the school community. She also expressed her enthusiasm for the new tradition and hinted that she would be happy to continue it in the future, given the positive impact it had on the students.

On March 22, the Link Crew is planning to host a high-energy meeting for next year’s prospective Link Crew leaders. The meeting will provide interested students with an opportunity to learn more about what it means to be a Link Crew leader, as well as the duties and responsibilities associated with the role. The meeting will also feature an open forum for questions and answers, allowing interested students to clarify any doubts or queries they may have. Overall, the Link Crew hopes that this meeting will encourage more students to step up and become leaders.