• November 10Interact Club meets the 1st and 3rd Monday of the Month
  • November 10Calliope meets the 1st and 3rd Wednesday in the Library
  • November 10Anime Club meets every Tuesday and Thursday after school
The student news site of Alton High School

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Cats and Coffee landing in Alton? Here’s the update!

White Foot playing with a ball toy.
Lauren Goff
White Foot playing with a ball toy.

Tasty treats, furry friends, and a nice warm cup of coffee are the ingredients to success at MeowTown. MeowTown operates as a nonprofit cat cafe with many volunteers with the same goal in mind, to find sheltered cats a permanent and safe home.“We want to continue matching up with forever families..that’s our main mission, helping the cats and the community,” co-founder, Kristine Ressler, said. 

Ressler, and the volunteers at MeowTown, have been successful in that mission, managing to get upwards of 20 cats placed in new homes. “We were just open now a month, I believe we are [at] 23 adoptions..so very well,” Ressler said. With all of this in mind, on top of the 4.6/5 star google review score, it made us wonder just how great MeowTown was. 

Once inside the cafe, we were greeted with a warm welcome and cat decorations from every corner. With the comfy atmosphere, warm hot chocolate and cookies, the entire experience left a lasting impression on both of us.

When walking into the cat’s corner, we were greeted with the cat crates and toys all scattered from the cats playing. In there, we got to meet eight cats, all with unique personalities. Though fun, interacting with the cats was an interesting experience. 

For starters, with both reporters being new to going to cat cafes the interaction was a bit cautious. Both reporters stayed stagnated and sat at the opposite end of the rooms to get our own separate experiences with the cats. However, what we both noticed was that the cats were extremely friendly, and they were a bit cautious at first, but they quickly warmed up and began to be quite active. 

In our opinion, MeowTown is the place to go, and we wholeheartedly believe that MeowTown is a beneficial establishment for the Alton community. With its cheerful volunteers, snug environment and cute cozy cats that are ready for a new home, Meowtown has been a wonderful gift for everyone in the community.