• November 10Interact Club meets the 1st and 3rd Monday of the Month
  • November 10Calliope meets the 1st and 3rd Wednesday in the Library
  • November 10Anime Club meets every Tuesday and Thursday after school
The student news site of Alton High School

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Calliope Magazine Showcases Student Art

Calliopes logo is featured on the various works of the club.
Alton High School Website
Calliope’s logo is featured on the various works of the club.

Calliope is one of the many clubs and organizations that Alton High School has to offer. It is an art-oriented club for students looking to expand on their creative interests. The club is sponsored by English teacher Matthew Sautman. 

“I know that a retired teacher named Annice Brave used to run it many years ago. The group has been around since at least the 90s,” Sautman said. 

The group took inspiration from the ancient Greek goddess Calliope. In Greek stories, Calliope was a goddess who loved music, singing, and dancing. She was also skilled in poetry. Calliope’s influence on culture and art made her a fitting name for the magazine group.

At Alton High, there are lots of talented artists. Calliope’s magazine is a way for these students to share their work and get recognized. Sautman gives advice to students with a passion for art.  

“Find other people who love it too,” Sautman said. “Being part of a community can make art more exciting and bring people together. Sometimes, we get busy with other things in life and forget about art, but having a community can help us stay connected to it.” 

The deadline for submissions is close approaching and club members have begun creating their magazine. The magazine will come out in early May, and everyone at Alton High School will get to see the students’ art pieces.

Calliope meets twice a month on Wednesdays in the library from 3:30 to 4:30 pm. Calliope helps Alton High encourage and support great art, and sponsors hope it inspires more students to explore their own creativity in the future.