• November 10Interact Club meets the 1st and 3rd Monday of the Month
  • November 10Calliope meets the 1st and 3rd Wednesday in the Library
  • November 10Anime Club meets every Tuesday and Thursday after school
The student news site of Alton High School

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

AHS Bowling Shows Appreciation for Seniors

Rebekah Vonplinsky
Boys bowling socialize while eating at the senior dinner Photo.

The Alton High senior bowlers had a busy week Jan. 8 going against Collinsville at Bowl Haven. Boys took their win in celebration of the seniors, while the girls had a close game, losing by one pin. The following day the team had sports pictures. Then on Jan. 10 the team had a senior celebration dinner. Coaches and teammates put in huge amounts of effort to make the senior celebrations special.

Coach Dave Meyers discussed getting bowling pins off the rack from Bowl Haven to paint and give to the seniors as a parting gift. Coach Jaime Dwiggins made all seven senior night posters and decorated the lounge for the dinner with the help from Coach Diane Buchanan.Teammates pinched in money to buy each senior a gift, as well.

“Senior dinner was great,” four-year varsity player Roman Cross said. “It really made me as a senior feel appreciated by having my team sign a bowling pin for me and giving me some gifts. It was a wonderful goodbye.”

Seniors, such as four year varsity players like Roman Cross, have been through a lot of changes with the team and their own progress throughout their bowling journeys, yet the support has never ran dry. 

“The coaches and players are some of the most motivating and uplifting people,” Cross said. “This year especially, one day after having a bad game all of the players helped each other, and the coaches were right there with us every step of the way, always giving advice and adjusting us if we didn’t notice something. Overall this was one of, if not the best year of bowling I have experienced.”

With all teams, there are ups and downs with adjusting to new teammates and coaches. However, across the board there has been a positive outlook with this year’s team specifically.

“During the past four years, many of my teammates have come and gone,” four-year varsity player Clara Velloff said. “I’m happy about the varsity group we have for my senior year. It’s the most successful and fun group I’ve seen since the beginning of my bowling career. The past four years I’ve had a different coach each year, and I can say I’m very thankful for Jaime, Brian, Diane and Jerry.”

The bowling team is truly grateful for this season’s senior players and it is no surprise why. “My seniors are a resilient bunch of young people that continue to amaze me when they are faced with challenges and how they attempt to overcome these challenges,” Coach Dwiggins said. “They try to be mindful of their teammates and lift them up. They all have a great sense of humor which is very much needed and appreciated!”