• November 10Interact Club meets the 1st and 3rd Monday of the Month
  • November 10Calliope meets the 1st and 3rd Wednesday in the Library
  • November 10Anime Club meets every Tuesday and Thursday after school
The student news site of Alton High School

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Godfrey Welcomes Winter with Annual Snowflake Festival

Maria Neganov
    Children lined the tables to create their own holiday artwork.

As winter descends, the 18th annual Snowflake Festival was held Friday, Dec. 1 at Robert E. Glazebrook Community Park. The festival is sponsored every year by the Godfrey Parks and Recreation department. 

The event lasted from 6-8:30p.m. Everyone was welcome to come out to this free event. Though, event-goers were asked to bring out donations for the United States Marine Corps of Alton for Toys for Tots campaign, not only at the festival but all through the holiday season. 

Temperatures reached a low of 46 for the evening, aided with some rainfall.

“With the weather we hope to just have a good turnout.” Jordyn Gintz, who has been the parks and recreation department supervisor for five and a half years, said. “We put a lot of heart and soul into all of our festivals and all of our events, so we want the community to come out and have a good time.” 

Upon arrival, guests were treated to complimentary hot cocoa, in hopes of warming up, along with some cookies.

Many activities were provided at the park. An open fire was offered and many were seen roasting marshmallows to make s’mores, as well as huddling near it for warmth. 

Every year Santa himself makes an appearance at the park. Kids and parents waited in line to get a picture with Santa and share what they wanted for Christmas this year. 

Despite long lines and rainy weather, holiday cheer was still high. After meeting Santa, families were also welcome to take a short scenic horse drawn carriage ride around the park. 

The Optimist International local chapter also provided crafts for the children. Crafts that included a reindeer food making station and an ornament making station. 

“It’s always about how much joy we bring to the kids and the smiles on their faces,” Craig Rathgeb, the vice president of the local Optimist International club, said.