• November 10Interact Club meets the 1st and 3rd Monday of the Month
  • November 10Calliope meets the 1st and 3rd Wednesday in the Library
  • November 10Anime Club meets every Tuesday and Thursday after school
The student news site of Alton High School

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Grace Carter Named All-Conference

Grace Carter in action at the net.
    Alex Jones
    Grace Carter in action at the net.

Have you ever thought you could make All Conference? All Conference is when student-athletes are chosen as the top athletes in their team sport by the opposing coaches. Alton High’s senior, Grace Carter did just that.

Carter is the daughter of Dan and Jennifer Carter. Dan and Jennifer work at Alton High School. The Carter’s were former coaches for the Alton High Lady Redbird’s Volleyball team. Coach Carter had resigned his coaching position Carter’s senior year.

“I did not miss coaching her in her senior year,” Dan Carter said. “I was looking forward to watching her and the team be coached by someone else. Even though I may miss coaching volleyball here, it was the correct decision for me and my family.”

This year, Alton High got new volleyball coaches: Mike McBrien and Alyssa Maher. However, later on McBrien resigned and his position was filled by Phil Hamiliton.

“Overall the season went good, it’s going to have its good and bad days, but for the most part it went well. For college wise, I plan on playing at a D2 school in Kentucky,” said Carter.

Carter has come a long way since her freshman year, and anyone who watches volleyball can clearly see that she is one of the most passionate players.

“I feel proud of myself because there has only been a few people in Alton High history that has ever got All Conference, and at this time last year, I would have never thought it would happen,” said Carter.

Not only as her coach, but as her father, Grace and Dan Carter both agree that this award is a great accomplishment. “As a coach you are always proud to have players receive recognition for their hard work, but in this case it is doubled. Having the opportunity to coach Grace for many years and as a parent knowing all the hours of hard work that she has put in, we are extremely proud of her. Second team all SWC is a great accomplishment!”, said Dan Carter.

Carter has had many accomplishments over these past 4 years. She will continue to play volleyball in the future. Cater plans to continue her academic and athletic career at a school in Kentucky.