• November 10Interact Club meets the 1st and 3rd Monday of the Month
  • November 10Calliope meets the 1st and 3rd Wednesday in the Library
  • November 10Anime Club meets every Tuesday and Thursday after school
The student news site of Alton High School

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Cats and Coffee Come to Alton

New+local+business%2C+MeowTown%2C+gears+up+for+opening.+
Kristine Ressler
New local business, MeowTown, gears up for opening.

A warm cup of coffee and a cat purring on your lap is wonderful way to end any stressful week. Luckily, there is a great new café coming to Alton where you can do just that: MeowTown! 

MeowTown is a new cat café coming to Alton on West Elm Street where people can enjoy a cup of coffee, volunteer and adopt a new furry friend. As the word spreads to community locals, excitement is growing for this new relaxing spot. 

“I’m super excited and will try to go a lot,” senior Madison Stephens said. “It’s another fun activity for everyone to do.”

At MeowTown, visitors can enter the café for an admission fee of $9 and enjoy cups of coffee, glasses of milk and cookies, all with a cat by their side! Not only does the café offer sweets, but all proceeds will be used to maintain the space and take care of the cats. 

Owner Kristine Ressler has volunteered with many different animal organizations and has a passion for finding a permanent home for rescued animals. Opening the café is Ressler’s way of achieving this goal. 

“We want to bring people from near and far to experience the cats and our community,” Ressler said. “If they fall in love with a furry face in the process and take it home, then it’s another win, win, win.”

Most importantly, MeowTown’s goal is to have the cats find a new home through their adoption process. Knowing not everyone can adopt, they will be offering volunteer opportunities on the MeowTown website. 

“I would love to adopt, but I have 3 cats already,” Stephens said. “I definitely will volunteer and it’s nice that National Honors Society may have another service opportunity.”

Preparation is coming to an end, and Ressler explains how the process of opening has been long and time consuming. 

“It comes with an abundance of licenses and permits, like any new business with furry friends,” Ressler said. “We have been renovating the building since January and it is just so comfortable and inviting now! A lot of love has gone into this project and we hope visitors will be able to feel that as they come in to spend time.” 

The opening of the café is hoped to take place in mid-December. If you are thinking about adopting a new furry face or just stopping by for a cup of coffee and a cuddle, don’t forget to check out this upcoming hot spot!

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Daily Bird
$200
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Alton High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.