• November 10Interact Club meets the 1st and 3rd Monday of the Month
  • November 10Calliope meets the 1st and 3rd Wednesday in the Library
  • November 10Anime Club meets every Tuesday and Thursday after school
The student news site of Alton High School

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Locals Celebrate Alton Halloween Parade

The annual Alton Halloween Parade celebrated its 106th anniversary Tues. by marching from the Alton Police Department on East Broadway to 9th Street. 

The parade featured quite an audience with hundreds of attendees from all age groups despite the below-freezing temperatures. Attending the parade is a tradition for many family and friends. Alton Middle School student, Olivia Scarborough recalled past years when her father won the annual chili cook-off hosted at the parade.

“Cold weather does not matter everybody always comes out to support everybody and have a good time,” Mike Roderfeld, who has been working with the police department for over 17 years and led the parade route this year, said.

Many people from other towns also came out to support. The parade featured four different marching bands from Alton High School, Alton Middle School, East Alton-Wood River High and Southwestern. “Bands from other schools come and perform in it so I think it is a big thing,” senior Madison Jockish said.

Several different floats were featured that provided plenty of candy for the kids. Every year the parade has a float contest, and this year there were an estimated 60-70 entries in it. 

The categories and winners featured this year were Dr. Vest – Commercial, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers – Clubs and Organizations, Schlueter Family – Family/Neighborhood Division, East Alton Ice Arena – Junior Youth and Riverbend Jeeps – Senior Youth. 

“This is one of the biggest parades we have had in 10 years,” Roderfeld said. The parade was sponsored and organized by the East End Improvement Association.