• November 10Interact Club meets the 1st and 3rd Monday of the Month
  • November 10Calliope meets the 1st and 3rd Wednesday in the Library
  • November 10Anime Club meets every Tuesday and Thursday after school
The student news site of Alton High School

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Redbirds Plan to Improve for Second Quarter

Students sitting down and learning in Mr. Pettus’s Environmental Science class.

With the second quarter soon approaching after winter break, Alton High School redbirds are preparing for this new half of the school year. Everyone has high expectations for the quarter change, but what exactly are they looking for?

English teacher Matthew Sautman said he is hoping for a generally more positive school environment. “I would love to see more uplift,” Sautman said. “My gut reaction would be to see more integrity, as I know some students do not always take responsibility to do everything they can to prioritize their learning, or sometimes I will overhear conversations of students speaking poorly of other students.” 

Teachers are not the only ones looking for productivity this quarter. Students are grateful to start off on a clean slate and hope to keep up with grades and deadlines. Junior Lexie Davis expands on her goals for the second quarter. 

“I want to stay on top of my school work and I could improve on getting to class on time,” Davis said. Davis also makes the point that teachers could “politely remind students about assignments more frequently.” 

The second quarter in the school year can bring more challenges, and unfortunately more stress. While students in the first quarter were getting used to the flow of their schedule and understanding their classes, second quarter brings the advancement and increased difficulty of assignments and coursework. The second quarter will be an opportunity for students to be on top of their school work, and get a routine set in for the remainder of the school year.