Students View School in Different Ways

Upperclassmen and Underclassmen viewpoint at Alton High School.

Two New Alton High Students excitedly plan to attend their first Homecoming Dance together. Photo by Alton High School Senior Katie Rich.

Katie Rich, Reporter

After attending Alton High School for almost four years, nothing appears to be new anymore. What do underclassmen notice that upperclassmen don’t?

“My favorite part about high school is the people,” freshman Nathanael Rich said. Rich also said he has made lots of friends, even though school has only been in session for a month.

“My favorite part is the freedom, and not having teachers on your back all of the time,” Freshman Josie Landuyt said. She also explained that she is pleased she is able to use her phone in class when she needs to.

Nathanael Rich conveyed, “I dislike some of my classes because I am expected to do a lot of work. It is a lot different than middle school.” Josie Landuyt said, “I don’t like having lots of work, because it takes up a lot of time.”

“I noticed that everyone in the hallway is a slow walker, and it is hard to get to class on time going from floor to floor,” Rich said. Landuyt responded with, “I have noticed that there are many diverse groups in this school.”

On the other side of the spectrum, an upperclassman stated, “My favorite part about the day is getting to see all of my friends” senior Jake Brey said. He also added, “Lunch is good this year, and it has improved from past years since the school’s lunch carrier switched.”

Senior Genevieve Ahlin said, “My favorite part about high school is at the end of the day when I get to go home.” She mentioned that her least favorite aspect of the school day is the constant circulating drama and disrespect.

In conclusion, new Alton High School students notice aspects that upperclassmen may not recognize anymore. According to the varying opinions collected from underclassmen and upperclassmen, underclassmen see the positive side of high school, where upperclassmen have clouded judgments based on situations they have experienced during their time at Alton High.