• November 10Interact Club meets the 1st and 3rd Monday of the Month
  • November 10Calliope meets the 1st and 3rd Wednesday in the Library
  • November 10Anime Club meets every Tuesday and Thursday after school
The student news site of Alton High School

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

The Daily Bird

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Barbie’s Performance at the Golden Globes

Friends posing ahead of Barbie premiere
Josie Tyler
Friends posing ahead of Barbie premiere

Many people had mixed feelings about how “Barbie” was treated at the Golden Globes  2024. “Barbie” was nominated for nine awards, but only won two awards. The host of the Golden Globes, Jo Koy, made a controversial joke about the movie. The joke was, “Oppenheimer is based on a 721-page Pulitzer Prize-winning book about the Manhattan Project, and ‘Barbie’ is on a plastic doll with big boobies.” 

The director of “Barbie”, Greta Gerwig, said on BBC Radio 4 Today, “He’s not wrong.” Others felt she handled this very well. “I feel it was a good response because she seemed unbothered by the misogynistic joke. She handled the whole situation better than many others would if they were in her situation, ” sophomore Kamora Ramsey, Golden Globes viewer said.

People felt that “Barbie” deserved better at the Golden Globes. “I really liked the ‘Barbie’ movie and I think it deserved more awards because of the comedy in it and the lesson that comes from the movie, ” sophomore Macie Tyler, Golden Globes viewer said. 

The movie “Barbie” had many good reviews, from IMDb the average viewer rating is 7.5 out of 10 with 465,588 ratings in total. Rotten Tomatoes also were 87% positive, along with 90 percent of critics who reviewed the movie giving it good reviews. At the Golden Globes when Jo Koy made his joke about “Barbie, ” Ryan Gosling, who played Ken, and Margot Robbie, who played Barbie, both had different reactions to his joke. Gosling didn’t make a face at Koy. He gave him what viewers called a “death glare”. Robbie just smiled at Koy. Viewers said she looked like she did not want to smile, but had to because otherwise she would get hate.

Sometimes, hosts from shows hire writers to write jokes and speeches for them to say. “I think that Jo Koy should be at fault for the joke because he should have known that it was really   sexist and should have changed the joke,” sophomore Golden Globes viewer Kruti Jadhav says.

Overall, “Barbie” won two awards out of nine at the Golden Globes.“I feel like ”Barbie” deserved more awards and I think the joke was uncalled for,” Golden Globes viewer sophomore Makenzie Rayfield said.