Early Risers Earn Extra Credits

Amani Leonard, Reporter

When I discovered Early Bird classes, not only did I sign up to take one, but I also have my very own opinion on Early Bird classes and wanted to know what others thought. My junior year would be my first year participating in an Early Bird class.

Mrs. York and Mrs. St. Peters-Winslow spoke from the teachers’ standpoints of teaching early bird classes. Mrs. York states that, “The students that take early birds tend to be a little more serious about excelling in school. I like the students, but some aren’t prepared for an early morning class. They sign up with the initiative of getting out of school early but then they realize getting up early isn’t easy”.

Aug 17, 2022, was the official date Early Bird and non-Early Bird classes began. Mrs. St. Peters-Winslow says, “The biggest challenge students face with having an early bird class is having multiple tardies. I think it’s about 50/50 with excellence in either Early-Bird or non-Early-Bird classes, but I can usually tell which students should not take an Early-Bird.”

It seems that taking an earlier class isn’t much different from a considered normal time class. It has its pros and cons, but these aren’t out-of-the-ordinary problems that occur. From the teacher’s standpoint, it seems students just need to be dedicated if this is something they would like to consider.

Tayen Orr, a student taking a current Early Bird class says, “It’s nice to be able to get the extra class credit by coming to school earlier instead of staying later, I will also be able to graduate early if I wanted to”. Tayen stays dedicated by remembering what having an Early Bird can truly accomplish. She will be able to graduate early and that’s one less credit she’ll have to worry about. 

Mrs. St. Peters-Winslow wants you to remember to, “Make sure that getting up early isn’t a problem if you’re looking into taking an Early-Bird class. Anyone is capable of taking an early class, you just have to be ready for the challenges you may face.”