Redbirds Start the Year Strong with Fox News Pep Rally

Grace Gibbons, Reporter

Students gathered in the gymnasium early Friday morning for a pep rally to showcase school spirit. Fox News went live and recorded the pep rally in real time. Cheer, dance and band students expressed their talents in a series of songs and performances. Members of the Redbird Nest were on-hand to rally up the crowd.

The band, conducted by Mr. Blake Korte, played “The Fight Song” and other small ‘shorts’ such as “Eye of the Tiger” and “We Will Rock You” periodically throughout the event. After band students finished the spirit song, they chanted the fight song motto.

The crowd went wild as the cheer team stretched before their routine. Students performed backflips and back handsprings as flyers were thrown in the air. The cheer team held up signs that read “Redbirds” in all capital letters. The crowd roared with excitement.

“The pep rally was very vibrant, [and] everyone was so energetic which was surprising considering how early it was,” student Harmony Lovett said.

Enthusiasm filled the crowd as Fox News cameras moved from one side of the stadium to the other.  Laughter and excitement circulated through the auditorium as students, dressed in red tutus and face paint, lit the stands with cheer. 

Soon thereafter, the junior varsity dance team performed the song, “The Weekend,” and moved gracefully in unison to the music. 

Jada Smith, a sophomore on the JV dance team, said, “The pep rally was energetic and electrifying. My favorite part of the pep rally was getting to perform with my team and show everyone the dances we’ve been working on.” 

The varsity dance performance followed shortly after. Dancers leapt through the air and moved their arms in waves as a domino effect occurred. The agility and movements were smooth and ‘electrifying.’

The football team came crashing through a banner that read, “Go Redbirds,” as the three dance teams made an arc and the pep band played.

Cameras were everywhere as select students and staff threw T-shirts and souvenirs into the crowd.

The band performed one last song as students made their way out of the gymnasium and to their first class.

The pep rally was a great start to the school year showcasing Redbird pride. Check out more photos from the event at this link https://thedailybird.org/7781/features/ktvi-fox-2-prep-zone/ or Fox News coverage here https://fox2now.com/am-show/pep-zone/pep-zone-alton-high-school/.