Vending Machines Locked At Alton High School

Vending Machines At AHS

Conner Fassler, Reporter

Everybody is wondering why the vending machines are closed. Although there is a lot of speculation throughout the student body, students want more options for their lunch other than the small portions the new food provider gives them.

There has been talk around the school concerning the vending machines closing down during lunch this year. They were open at the beginning of the school year but now they have been closed down. This decision by the administrators has angered many students and people are starting to wonder if the vending machines will be taken away altogether. 

For some students, the main concern with the vending machines closing is the fact that they can no longer get a cold drink besides the tap water and milk that students do not enjoy. Some students are angry because there are no other side options besides the small portions the school gives them.

We spoke with Mr. Curevy and he stated, “that the new food provider will not allow outside food and drink in the cafeteria during lunch.” Mr. Curevy also stated, “The food in the cafeteria is provided free to make sure everyone has equal access to healthy food and having vending machines on at the same time sort of defeats that purpose”. He also said, “that other schools in the area have gotten rid of their vending machines altogether so AHS students should be glad that they still have access to them”.

Mr. Goetten told us that many of the field trips and extracurricular activities were funded in part by the vending machine proceeds and now the school will lose out on that money. Goetten also told us that the end of the month food court Fridays might be put in jeopardy with the new food provider’s rules. Along with that the redbird store might not reopen.