Setting Goals Keeps Students On Track

Gabe Watt, Reporter

What is a goal? According to the dictionary, a goal is “The object of a person’s ambition or effort; an aim or desired result.” Goals are what drive a person in life.

Without goals, people cannot move forward in the world. “Setting goals for yourself is important because it gives you motivation to do things,” Trevor Eagleton said.

Motivation is key a factor when someone initially sets a goal because this allows the person to continue working towards what they hope to achieve. People can have very different motivations. Eagleton said his motivation is “making money.” While Brad Taul has completely different motivations. “I want to further my education and improve my musical skills,” Taul said. 

Why do people make goals for themselves? Goals give people focus. Some people set goals simply because they want anything to strive after, no matter how small or large. Others use goals to try and better themselves and improve their situation. This sense of direction is what allows a person to focus on a target. Not only that, but short-term goals help people overcome procrastination as well.

When setting a goal, people need to hold themselves accountable to finishing the task. Unfortunately, long-term goals can help promote procrastination. For example, if someone has a deadline three months away, they are more likely to do the work during the last week rather than breaking it up into smaller goals over the course of those three months.

Setting a schedule to accomplish a goal is a smart way to see it through to the end. The more difficult a goal is, the more motivation it will take to accomplish. So, setting a schedule, and properly managing time, play a key factor in achieving the desired goals.