ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR THURSDAY MARCH 1, 2020 TRIVIA QUESTION

ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR 	THURSDAY   MARCH 1, 2020 TRIVIA QUESTION

GOOD AFTERNOON ALTON HIGH
I’M _____________ AND I’M ____________ AND HERE ARE YOUR ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR THURSDAY MARCH 1, 2020
TRIVIA QUESTION
WHAT IS THE NATIONAL DISH OF GERMANY?

We’ll give you the answer at the end of the announcements.

NHS is having a Student v Staff Basketball Game Wednesday, March 18th, at 6:30pm in the AHS Gymnasium. All proceeds for the event are going to the nonprofit Relay for Life, which benefits the American Cancer Society. Admission is $3 for a student with their ID. 
Popular staff such as Spainhour, Fortschneider, and Banister will be playing in the game. There will be raffles and crowd interactive games at the event, including a Throw a Pie in a Teacher’s Face contest. Voting for this contest will be held during lunches next week and at the game, student’s can vote for which teacher gets a pie thrown at them, as well as enter to throw the pie themselves!
Teacher participating in this contest are Lauschke, Hawthorne, Hilgert, Banister, and Nemec. One entrance in the contest is $1. 

Any Junior interested in the Riverbend CEO program for their Senior year should visit www.riverbendceo.com and fill out an application! All applications are due on March 31. CEO is an off campus class that meets during early bird and 1st hour, where students learn about local business practices and owning their own business. Please see your guidance counselor for more information. 
THINKING ABOUT PROM
Juniors and Seniors, 

Are you thinking about going to Prom? Do you have any library books or textbooks you have not turned in? If so, please get them turned into the library as soon as possible so you will be able to purchase your prom ticket.

Attention All Alton High School girls, 
Do you want to be empowered! On April 9, 2020, there will be an “I AM EMPOWERED” Young Women’s Conference held at SIUE. 
You will learn ways to handle your anger, resolve conflicts peacefully, improve your 
self-esteem and make new friends. 
Sign up in Student Services (across from the cafeteria) 

Abe Lincoln Readers’ Choice Award: Voting is open for those who are participating in the Abe Lincoln Readers’ Choice Award program through the library. Students have until March 12th to submit reading logs and vote for their favorite book. See Mrs. Penning in the library for more information.

ATTENTION: HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS!
BE THE FIRST TO ENROLL
FOR 2020 SUMMER & FALL
AT LEWIS & CLARK COMMUNITY COLLEGE
SIGN UP WITH YOUR HIGH SCHOOL COUNSELOR!
MARCH 20TH @ 9:30
UPCOMING COLLEGE VISITS
MAKE SURE YOU SIGN UP IN GUIDANCE
MOST VISITS ARE HOSTED IN THE LIBRARY

MISSOURI STATE WILL BE HERE
THURSDAY MARCH 12TH @ 1:45
THEY ARE LOCATED IN SPRINGFIELD, MO
AND HAVE AN ENROLLMENT 26000
THEY PARTICIPATE IN NCAA DIV I FOR ATHLETICS

ILLINOIS COLLEGE
FRIDAY MARCH 27TH @ 1:45
THEY ARE LOCATED IN JACKSONVILLE, IL
AND HAVE AN ENROLLMENT OF 1050
THEY PARTICIPATE IN NCAA DIV III FOR ATHLETICS

BLACKBURN COLLEGE WILL BE HERE
MONDAY MARCH 30TH @ 1:45
THEY ARE LOCATED IN CARLINVILLE, IL
AND HAVE AN ENROLLMENT 600

FROM THE TATLER
Time is running out to pre-order your son or daughter’s 2019-2020 Tatler. We have VERY limited quantities of books, so it is imperative that you order your book as soon as possible, go to 

https://www.jostens.com to order your book today!

The Tatler is a nationally award-winning yearbook, we are so excited and proud to share all of our hard work and creativity with you!

THE SPRING CHOIR CONCERT IS THIS THURSDAY AT 7:30

FROM ATHLETICS…
There will be a brief informational meeting for all volleyball girls on Wednesday at 3:20 in B133.  The meeting will be short so you can resume to your Spring activities.  
SAT TEST PREP WORD OF THE DAY
ameliorate
verb: make something bad better
“Three Cups of Tea” tells the story of western man who hopes to ameliorate poverty and the lack of education in Afghanistan.

TRIVIA QUESTION ANSWER
WHAT IS THE NATIONAL DISH OF GERMANY?

POT ROAST

AND FINALLY…LET’S TALK ABOUT WASHING OUR HANDS

80% of communicable diseases are transferred by touch

The most critical times for hand washing are before preparing food and after going to the bathroom.

The recommended washing time is 15 seconds. The ideal washing time is 30 seconds.

Most bacteria on our hands is on the fingertips and under the nails

Damp hands are 1,000x more likely to spread bacteria than dry hands
Only 20% of people dry their hands after washing
Re-usable cloth towels harbor millions of bacteria. Disposable paper towels are the most sanitary means of drying hands.

THANKS FOR WATCHING AND CHECK US OUT AT
thedailybird.org
And @ahsdailybird on twitter