“Inherit The Wind” at Alton Little Theater

Tyler Downey, Reporter

Alton Little Theater was founded in 1933 this is their 86th consecutive season since its opening. The Alton Little Theater is the longest-running community theatre in Illinois.

Starting Jan. 31 until Feb. 9, “Inherit the Wind” will be performed at Alton Little Theater. The performance begins at 7:30 p.m. on Jan. 31, Feb. 1, Feb. 6, Feb. 7 and Feb. 8. There is also a 2 p.m. matinee performance on Feb. 9. However, performances for Jan. 31 and Feb. 6 are already sold out.

“Inherit the Wind” is about a mock trial of the Scopes Monkey Trial. For people that may not know, the Scopes Monkey Trial was the trial that allowed people to teach and learn about evolution in school. John T. Scopes was a high school teacher that was accused of teaching human evolution. The trial brought a lot of attention to what should be taught in school.

Logan Elliot, who performs in the play, explained how the play represents the shame that was people place on the theory of evolution. “They made the man feel worthless and like nothing,” Elliot said.

Elliot performs multiple parts that help tell the story; these parts include several townsmen, as well as a scientist. Elliot has been in seven different plays at Alton Little Theater. 

“I feel it has a great message; it reminds us to think for ourselves and that not everybody is bad. It is all about perception,” said Elliot. Though the perception of the viewer is what is essential, Elliot said he feels that the audience will be interested and pleased with all the hard work every cast and crew member has put into “Inherit the Wind.”