Girls Varsity Tennis

Jaylah Crawford, Reporter

The Varsity Girls Tennis team is a force to be reckoned with. Alton High varsity tennis has been winning many games and competitions throughout their season. Without a try-out process, every girl gets a chance to show off their skills.

Their season usually starts at the beginning of August and the goal is for the end to be in late October. The state competition takes place in late October, according to Jesse Macias, the head coach of the team. Their next upcoming conference will be next Friday and Saturday (October 11th and 12th). 

So far this school year, the team placed 4th in a tournament held in Springfield, Illinois and placed 7th in a tournament in Bloomington, Illinois. Recently the team visited the University of Illinois in Champaign to watch the other tennis teams play. The girls were even able to go on the court to play a game! 

Senior player, Madelyn Saenz, has been playing tennis all 4 years in high school. “I started playing when I was little and I’ve loved it ever since.” Playing tennis can be hard without practice for beginners but with the help from coaches, they will prepare you for the matches,” stated Madelyn. The players are not just teammates, but they are family. “We all spend a lot of time together and become really close. We get really good team bonding at away tournaments.”

They have been rained out of two matches since the season started and according to Coach Macias, if he could change anything about tennis, he would change the weather. Even after the season, the girls play for a winter clinic to prepare for the next season.