ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR MONDAY, MAY 1, 2017

Daily Announcements for Alton High School

GOOD AFTERNOON ALTON HIGH HERE ARE YOUR ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR MONDAY, MAY 1, 2017
This Day in History
In 1884, Moses Walker became the 1st African American player in major league baseball in US.

Batman comics hit the streets in 1939.

In 1941, “Citizen Kane”, directed & starring Orson Welles, premiered in NY.
Cont.
Mr. Potato Head was introduced in 1952.

In 1999, the animated series “SpongeBob SquarePants” debuted on Nickelodeon.

Lastly, “Gladiator” and starring Russell Crowe and Joaquin Phoenix premiered in LA in 2000.
PROM 2K17
Attention Juniors and Seniors! Prom is May 13th from 7:30-11:30 at SIUE. This year’s theme is “Enchanted Forest”.
Prom tickets are on sale until May 5th. Tickets are $35, CASH ONLY, and are sold in The Commons during lunch hours. 50% of outstanding fees must be paid before you can purchase a ticket. If you owe $50 or less, you must pay off your balance. You will be required to present your receipt when you purchase a prom ticket.
Also, seniors that have more than 20 discipline points will not be able to attend prom.
The After Prom Party will be at Bowl Haven Lanes from 11:30pm-2:30am. Tickets are $12 in advance and $15 at the door. Ticket price includes: a t-shirt, food, prizes, bowling and games. Tickets are being sold on May 1st and May 5th.
After Grad
The event is May 26th, 11pm – 3am at LCCC’s Commons.
Tickets are being sold during lunch on May 2nd and May 4th. They are $12 in advance, and $15 at the door.
Service Dog
A student with special needs and his service dog will be visiting AHS occasionally. Wags will be wearing a vest to signify that he is a service dog.
Only the student should touch Wags. Those of you who see them in the hallway should not touch or speak to Wags or the student. They’re visiting for a specific purpose.
Please be respectful of the situation.
Donation Drive
Safe Haven is asking for you to donate feminine products to homeless women in your community. They are asking for bras, packs of tampons, pads and underwear. Help make a difference in your community! Please place donations outside of Student Services. Thank you.
Self-Defense Awareness Workshop
We have been invited to attend a Self-Defense Awareness Community Workshop on May 16 at 6pm at Bethel Christian Academy, 1417 Herbert Street. The workshop is open to community residents and students.
Two veteran police officers from the metro-east area will be there to teach hand-to-hand self-defense and weapons safety.
The idea is to empower students and citizens to make informed, safe choices in how they choose to defend themselves.
From the Library
You may start turning your textbooks into the library as soon as you are finished with them.
DO NOT TURN THEM IN UNTIL YOU ARE DONE WITH THEM. They will not be checking them in and out.
Seniors must have all textbooks in by end of the day on May 10th, and underclassmen need them turned in by end of the day May 22nd or you will be charged for the textbook.
Also, all library books are due by the end of the day on Friday, May 5th. Any books not returned to the library by this date will result in you being charged for the replacement cost of the book.
2018 Senior Pictures
Juniors: Next year, you’ll be lucky enough to hold the title of senior. With that said, you’re going to need to take your senior photos.
Senior pictures must be turned in (digitally) to Miss Heck either at [email protected], or with a CD or jump drive in room A119 or at the AHS Main Office by Friday, NOVEMBER 3, 2017.
The digital image must be no smaller than 2 x 3 inches and a resolution of 300 dpi. Larger images are okay. The photo must be in portrait orientation.
The photographer must get an e-mail confirmation that we received the photograph. IF YOU OR THE PHOTOGRAPHER DOES NOT GET AN E-MAIL CONFIRMATION, WE DID NOT RECEIVE THE PHOTO.

Cont.
They must be saved as Lastname, Firstname.
Images must have no special effects. They’re recommended to be in colour.
Scanner photos may not be accepted due to copyright infringement.
Photos must be professional looking, have no sexual content, should show full face, contain no visible props, the clothing should be “appropriate”, and should be head shots (or a maximum of half body)- no full body shots will be used.
Selfies and cellphone pictures will not be accepted.
If you have any questions or concerns, call Miss Heck at (618) 474-2209 or email her at [email protected]
Cheerleading Tryouts
They will be 6-8pm in the AHS Gym, May 8-10.
There is a mandatory informational meeting on Mon, May 1 at 7pm in the AHS Library.
Mon, May 8 will be a clinic day to learn the tryout choreography and jump technique
Tues will be a clinic day to review tryout choreography and jump technique. There will also be a stunt and tumble open gym.
Wed will be the official tryout day with the judging panel.
For any questions, contact Coach Bre at [email protected]
Save the Date
Alton Athletic Association 19th Annual Golf Tournament is May 12, 2017 at Spencer T Olin Golf Course
For any questions email: [email protected]

We would like to thank all of you AHS students for watching

Remember to follow us on twitter @ahsdailybird and check out our website at thedailybird.org for all your redbird information

And don’t forget to follow us on Snapchat @ahsdailybird