ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR THURSDAY, APRIL 13, 2017

Daily Announcements for Alton High School

GOOD AFTERNOON ALTON HIGH HERE ARE YOUR ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR THURSDAY, APRIL 13, 2017
This Day in History
In 1742, Handel’s oratorio “The Messiah“ was performed for the 1st time.

Thomas Jefferson, the American lawyer, politician, and 3rd President of the United States, was born in 1743.

In 1902, J C Penney opened his first store in Kemmerer, Wyoming.
Cont.
Stan Musial scored his 1,869th run, making a new MLB record in 1962.
In 1970, the Apollo 13 announced “Houston, we’ve got a problem!” as the oxygen tank exploded en route to Moon.

Lastly, the Avengers: Age of Ultron, starring Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Mark Ruffalo, Samuel L. Jackson, and Jeremy Renner, premiered in Los Angeles in 2015.
PROM 2K17
Attention Juniors and Seniors! Prom is May 13th from 7:30-11:30 at SIUE. This year’s theme is “Enchanted Forest”.
If you plan on bringing a date that is in the 10th grade or is not an AHS student, you must pick up a guest form in B205. These forms are DUE NO TODAY AND NO LATER. Signatures are required so plan ahead!!
Prom tickets go on sale April 18th. Tickets are $35, CASH ONLY, and will be sold in The Commons during lunch hours. 50% of outstanding fees must be paid before you can purchase a ticket. If you owe $50 or less, you must pay off your balance. You will be required to present your receipt when you purchase a prom ticket.
Cont.
Also, seniors that have more than 20 discipline points will not be able to attend prom. Please check your points. There is an appeal process, but students must get the form as soon as possible because there are some requirements on the form.
The After Prom Party will be at Bowl Haven Lanes from 11:30pm-2:30am. Tickets are $12 in advance and $15 at the door. Ticket price includes: t-shirt, food, prizes, bowling and games. Tickets will be sold Mondays and Fridays starting on April 21st.
Les Mis Crew
If you signed up for working with the musical crew for “Les Miserables,” Ms. Davis is now ready for you to come to rehearsals! Rehearsals for the week of April 10-13 are as follows: Monday, 3:15-6; Tuesday, 5-8; Wednesday, 3:15-6; and Thursday, 3:15-6. If you have questions or concerns, contact Ms. David at [email protected]
Les Miserables
Les Mis is April 27-30. It will be at 7pm on the 27th-29th. It will be at 2pm on the 30th.
The musical is about a prisoner’s life after he breaks parole, during the time of the French Revolution, and the people who are affected by him.
The performance is in the AHS Auditiorium.
Ticket prices are $20 for priority seating, $10 for adults, and $5 for students.
For tickets, call (314) 252-8579
General admission tickets are for sale before the performances
Doors open at 6:25 for Priority Seating tickets, at 6:30 for General Admission tickets.

2018 Senior Pictures
Juniors: Next year, you’ll be lucky enough to hold the title of senior. With that said, you’re going to need to take your senior photos.
Senior pictures must be turned in (digitally) to Miss Heck either at [email protected], or with a CD or jump drive in room A119 or at the AHS Main Office by Friday, NOVEMBER 3, 2017.
The digital image must be no smaller than 2 x 3 inches and a resolution of 300 dpi. Larger images are okay. The photo must be in portrait orientation.
The photographer must get an e-mail confirmation that we received the photograph. IF YOU OR THE PHOTOGRAPHER DOES NOT GET AN E-MAIL CONFIRMATION, WE DID NOT RECEIVE THE PHOTO.

Cont.
They must be saved as Lastname, Firstname.
Images must have no special effects. They’re recommended to be in colour.
Scanner photos may not be accepted due to copyright infringement.
Photos must be professional looking, have no sexual content, should be head shots (or a maximum of half body)- no full body shots will be used, should show full face, contain no visible props, and the clothing should be “appropriate”.
Selfies and cellphone pictures will not be accepted.
If you have any questions or concerns, call Miss Heck at (618) 474-2209 or email her at [email protected]
Scholarships and Further Education
Keep checking the AHS Guidance website for scholarship opportunities. Be sure to check the eligibility requirements and deadlines.
Any graduating senior who needs help with college plans and applications or filling out the FAFSA financial forms can stop by Guidance on Wednesdays or Thursdays. The College/Scholarship Center will be open until April 27th.

Juniors: If you need help looking for a college or further educational opportunities after high school, see Ms. Whitner or Mrs. Thornton in Guidance on Wednesdays or Thursdays.
Color Guard Auditions
Would you like to be a part of the award winning Marching 100?
We will be having Color Guard auditions next week – April 18-21 from 3:45 – 6:30 in the AHS Multipurpose room. All those interested should attend. Wear comfortable clothes and tennis shoes. Please see Ms. Cudney or Mr. James with any questions.
Save the Date
Alton Athletic Association 19th Annual Golf Tournament is May 12, 2017 at Spencer T Olin Golf Course
For any questions email: [email protected]

We would like to thank all of you AHS students for watching

Remember to follow us on twitter @ahsdailybird and check out our website at thedailybird.org for all your redbird information

And don’t forget to follow us on Snapchat @ahsdailybird