ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR WEDNESDAY, APRIL 26, 2017

Daily Announcements for Alton High School

GOOD AFTERNOON ALTON HIGH HERE ARE YOUR ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR WEDNESDAY, APRIL 26, 2017
This Day in History
In 1514, Copernicus made his 1st observations of Saturn.

A tradition began in 1941, when the Cubs got the 1st organ at a baseball stadium.

In 1980, Channing Tatum, the American actor and producer, was born.

Lastly, “Iron Man 2”, starring Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow, premiered in Los Angeles in 2010.
PROM 2K17
Attention Juniors and Seniors! Prom is May 13th from 7:30-11:30 at SIUE. This year’s theme is “Enchanted Forest”.
Prom tickets are currently on sale. Tickets are $35, CASH ONLY, and are sold in The Commons during lunch hours. 50% of outstanding fees must be paid before you can purchase a ticket. If you owe $50 or less, you must pay off your balance. You will be required to present your receipt when you purchase a prom ticket.
Also, seniors that have more than 20 discipline points will not be able to attend prom.
The After Prom Party will be at Bowl Haven Lanes from 11:30pm-2:30am. Tickets are $12 in advance and $15 at the door. Ticket price includes: a t-shirt, food, prizes, bowling and games. Tickets are being sold Mondays and Fridays.
Service Dog
A student with special needs and his service dog will be visiting AHS occasionally. Wags will be wearing a vest to signify that he is a service dog.
Only the student should touch Wags. Those of you who see them in the hallway should not touch or speak to Wags or the student. They’re visiting for a specific purpose.
Please be respectful of the situation.
Self-Defense Awareness Workshop
We have been invited to attend a Self-Defense Awareness Community Workshop on May 16 at 6pm at Bethel Christian Academy, 1417 Herbert Street. The workshop is open to community residents and students.
Two veteran police officers from the metro-east area will be there to teach hand-to-hand self-defense and weapons safety.
The idea is to empower students and citizens to make informed, safe choices in how they choose to defend themselves.
Be Brave Campaign
Tomorrow, from 6-9pm, there will be a fundraiser at Shivers to support the SSM Breast Care Fund which assists breast cancer patients.
Shivers Frozen Custard, located at 3318 Godfrey Rd, will be donating 15% of the sales total during this three hour period.
This campaign is in honor of Annice Brave, and is for a lovely cause, so please attend!
From the Library
You may start turning your textbooks into the library as soon as you are finished with them.
DO NOT TURN THEM IN UNTIL YOU ARE DONE WITH THEM. They will not be checking them in and out.
Seniors must have all textbooks in by end of the day on May 10th or you will be charged for the textbook.
Underclassmen need all textbooks turned in by end of the day May 22nd or you will be charged for the textbook.
Also, all library books are due by the end of the day on Friday, May 5th. Any books not returned to the library by this date will result in you being charged for the replacement cost of the book.
IHSA Journalism Competition
The following students competed in the IHSA Journalism Competition on Saturday, April 22 at SIU-Carbondale. The Alton team did very well, with two students advancing to the state competition!
GABY HALL—-1st place Photo Story Telling
And TRISTAN WUELLNER—-2nd place Editorial Cartooning

The following students participated placing 4th or 5th in their competitive journalism categories.
ALEX BERGIN, IZZY CANNON, ADDY FENNEWALD, MALIQUE SIMMS, SARAH GORMAN, and MAGGIE GOBLE
Great job, guys!
Les Miserables
Les Mis is April 27-30. It will be at 7pm on the 27th-29th. It will be at 2pm on the 30th.
The musical is about a prisoner’s life after he breaks parole, during the time of the French Revolution, and the people who are affected by him.
The performance is in the AHS Auditiorium.
Ticket prices are $20 for priority seating, $10 for adults, and $5 for students.
For tickets, call (314) 252-8579
General admission tickets are for sale before the performances
Doors open at 6:25 for Priority Seating tickets, at 6:30 for General Admission tickets.

2018 Senior Pictures
Juniors: Next year, you’ll be lucky enough to hold the title of senior. With that said, you’re going to need to take your senior photos.
Senior pictures must be turned in (digitally) to Miss Heck either at [email protected], or with a CD or jump drive in room A119 or at the AHS Main Office by Friday, NOVEMBER 3, 2017.
The digital image must be no smaller than 2 x 3 inches and a resolution of 300 dpi. Larger images are okay. The photo must be in portrait orientation.
The photographer must get an e-mail confirmation that we received the photograph. IF YOU OR THE PHOTOGRAPHER DOES NOT GET AN E-MAIL CONFIRMATION, WE DID NOT RECEIVE THE PHOTO.

Cont.
They must be saved as Lastname, Firstname.
Images must have no special effects. They’re recommended to be in colour.
Scanner photos may not be accepted due to copyright infringement.
Photos must be professional looking, have no sexual content, should show full face, contain no visible props, the clothing should be “appropriate”, and should be head shots (or a maximum of half body)- no full body shots will be used.
Selfies and cellphone pictures will not be accepted.
If you have any questions or concerns, call Miss Heck at (618) 474-2209 or email her at [email protected]
Scholarships and Further Education
Keep checking the AHS Guidance website for scholarship opportunities. Be sure to check the eligibility requirements and deadlines.
Any graduating senior who needs help with college plans and applications or filling out the FAFSA financial forms can stop by Guidance on Wednesdays or Thursdays. The College/Scholarship Center will be open until tomorrow.

Juniors: If you need help looking for a college or further educational opportunities after high school, see Ms. Whitner or Mrs. Thornton in Guidance on Wednesdays or Thursdays.
Cheerleading Tryouts
They will be 6-8pm in the AHS Gym, May 8-10.
There is a mandatory informational meeting on Mon, May 1 at 7pm in the AHS Library.
Mon, May 8 will be a clinic day to learn the tryout choreography and jump technique
Tues will be a clinic day to review tryout choreography and jump technique. There will also be a stunt and tumble open gym.
Wed will be the official tryout day with the judging panel.
For any questions, contact Coach Bre at [email protected]
Save the Date
Alton Athletic Association 19th Annual Golf Tournament is May 12, 2017 at Spencer T Olin Golf Course
For any questions email: [email protected]

We would like to thank all of you AHS students for watching

Remember to follow us on twitter @ahsdailybird and check out our website at thedailybird.org for all your redbird information

And don’t forget to follow us on Snapchat @ahsdailybird