ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR TUESDAY, APRIL 4, 2017

Daily Announcements for Alton High School

GOOD AFTERNOON ALTON HIGH HERE ARE YOUR ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR TUESDAY, APRIL 4, 2017
This Day in History
In 1841, Vice President John Tyler became the 10th President of the United States after the death of President Harrison.

Maya Angelou, the American memoirist and poet, was born in 1928.

In 1958, the CND Peace Symbol was displayed in public for the first time in London.
Cont.
The Beatles’ “Can’t Buy Me Love” single went to #1 in 1964.

Robert Downey Jr., the American actor, producer, and screenwriter, was born in 1965.

And in 1968, US civil rights activist Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated in Memphis, Tennessee.
PROM 2K17
Attention Juniors and Seniors! Prom is May 13th from 7:30-11:30 at SIUE. This year’s theme is “Enchanted Forest”.
If you plan on bringing a date that is in the 10th grade or is not an AHS student, you must pick up a guest form in B205. These forms are DUE NO LATER THAN APRIL 13th. Signatures are required so plan ahead!!
Prom tickets go on sale April 18th. Tickets are $35, CASH ONLY, and will be sold in The Commons during lunch hours. 50% of outstanding fees must be paid before you can purchase a ticket. If you owe $50 or less, you must pay off your balance. You will be required to present your receipt when you purchase a prom ticket.
The After Prom Party will be at Bowl Haven Lanes from 11:30pm-2:30am. Tickets are $12 in advance and $15 at the door. Ticket price includes: t-shirt, food, prizes, bowling and games. Tickets will be sold Mondays and Fridays starting on April 21st.
SAT Testing
Attention all Juniors: Tomorrow, you will be taking the SAT test in the gym. Please report to the gym prior to the bell ringing at 8:45. Testing will begin promptly at 8:50. Testing will be completed at approximately 2pm. At that time, you will be released to go home for the day. Snacks will be provided throughout testing, but the cafeteria will remain open for any student wanting lunch after testing. Students that need to ride the bus home will report to their 6th hour classes and be dismissed at the regularly scheduled dismissal time of 3:15. Please be sure to bring a jacket or hoodie to testing, as the gym can get cold at times.
Madison County Law Internship Program
The Madison County Bar Association is looking for the best and brightest students who are interested in careers in the legal field. Such careers include attorneys, paralegals, legal secretaries and law enforcement. If selected, the students will have the opportunity to:
Explore legal careers with hands-on experience
Develop connections in the legal community, which will open doors to future employment opportunities
Learn about the law and its role in the community
Make informed career choices
And participate in an informational program regarding legal careers.
Cont.
To qualify, the students must:
Complete their junior year in high school; Submit proof of 3.0 Minimum cumulative GPA; Submit two Letters of Recommendation from non-relatives (such as teachers, coaches, guidance counselors, principals, or employers); Demonstrate good citizenship and attendance; Complete an application, which includes a personal statement; Attend a one-day training and orientation session; and Commit to a minimum of twenty hours per week placement with a lawyer at the lawyer’s place of employment.
For more information, please contact attorney Jennifer Johnson at [email protected] or (618) 656-4646
The program runs from June 5 to June 30.
If interested see Tami Williams in the Guidance Office
Scholarships
Keep checking the AHS Guidance website for scholarship opportunities. Be sure to check the eligibility requirements and deadlines.
Any graduating senior who needs help with college plans and applications or filling out the FAFSA financial forms can stop by Guidance on Wednesdays or Thursdays. The College/Scholarship Center will be open until April 27th.
UNITED STATES SERVICE A-CAD-EM-IES ADMISSIONS WORKSHOP
You and your family are cordially invited to join the Deans, Directors of Admission, Cadets, and Midshipmen of the five United States service academies, to explore the experience, admissions process, and expectations of service academy life.
The workshop will be on Sat, April 8 in St. Louis
For Event Details And Registration: www.uscga.edu/serviceacademyworkshop
If you have any questions about this event, contact guidance.
Further Education
Juniors: If you need help looking for a college or further educational opportunities after high school, see Ms. Whitner or Mrs. Thornton in Guidance on Wednesdays or Thursdays.
Save the Date
Alton Athletic Association 19th Annual Golf Tournament is May 12, 2017 at Spencer T Olin Golf Course
For any questions email: [email protected]

We would like to thank all of you AHS students for watching

Remember to follow us on twitter @ahsdailybird and check out our website at thedailybird.org for all your redbird information

And don’t forget to follow us on Snapchat @ahsdailybird