ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR WEDNESDAY, MARCH 8, 2017

GOOD AFTERNOON ALTON HIGH HERE ARE YOUR ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR WEDNESDAY, MARCH 8, 2017
This Day in History
In 1817, the New York Stock Exchange was founded.

Edwin Hubble took a photo that shows as many galaxies as Milky Way has stars in 1934.

In 1945, International Women’s Day was 1st observed.
Cont.
In 1950, BR Walters was the 1st woman medical officer assigned to naval vessel

6 year old Tommy Moore scored hole-in-one in golf in Hagerstown, Md in 1968.

And in 1978, the first-ever radio episode of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams, was transmitted on BBC Radio 4.
Riverbend CEO Program
Attention Juniors interested in being in the CEO program next year: Applications are due today. Please be sure to stop by the guidance office to pick up your application and get started on it soon!
Megyme’s Senior Crew
Megyme is looking for five Alton High 2018 Seniors for a Promotional video and photos.
The Senior Crew will receive a free senior photo session plus any photos that are taken for Promotional use.
Anyone who applies will receive 15% off basic or full senior photo session.
Apply for Megyme’s senior crew at: MeganFairless.com/seniorcrew
AP Tests
IT IS TIME TO SIGN UP FOR AP TESTS! Please see Mrs. Lehman in Bookkeeping to pay and sign up. Any other questions or financial hardship, please see Mrs. Williams in guidance.
Scholarships
Seniors: Keep checking AHS guidance site to find scholarships.
If you need help, come to Guidance today or tomorrow. See Mrs. Thornton.

Also, if you need a transcript for a scholarship, fill out the request form several days before the deadline. Thank you!
Battle of the Schools Trivia Night
On Saturday, March 25, 2017, the RiverBend Growth Association is holding a young adults trivia night at East Alton-Wood River High School.
Tables will be $80 each.
This trivia night is a fundraiser for nonprofit organizations such as the American Cancer Society and the Nature Institute.
Come on out and support this great cause!
From the Library
If you are participating in the Abraham Lincoln Read for a Lifetime program, voting is now open! In order to vote, you must have read at least four books from the reading list. Voting will end on March 15th.
Mr. Irresistible
Mr. Irresistible is being held on Friday, March 10, at 7:00 p.m. Students are encouraged to please attend.
4th Annual Charity Fashion Show
FCCLA’s fashion show is today. The proceeds from ticket sales will benefit the Oasis Women’s Shelter in Alton. It is at 7:00 pm in the AHS Auditorium. Tickets are $5 for Adults and $3 for Students. The theme is “Struttin’ Through the Ages”.
If you would like to pre-purchase fashion show tickets, see Mrs. Birch, Mrs. Ferree, or Mrs. Douglas.
Tickets can also be purchased at the door on the night of the Fashion show.
Zumba Classes
Starting today, we will have a Zumba class after school from 3:30-4:15 in the B building courtyard. Make sure to bring something to drink and some comfortable clothes. Class may be canceled if there is bad weather so listen to announcements. See Mrs. Burgess in B251 for more information.
Scholastic Bowl
Congratulations to the Redbird Scholastic Bowl Team for winning the Granite City Regional on Monday. They will now compete in the Sectional Tournament at Mt. Vernon this Saturday, March 11th. Go Redbirds!
Special Olympics
The Special Olympics team will be at Shop ‘n Save on Saturday, March 11 selling raffle tickets from 11 am – 2 pm.
Come out and support our team!
Save the Date
Alton Athletic Association 19th Annual Golf Tournament is May 12, 2017 at Spencer T Olin Golf Course
For any questions email: [email protected]

We would like to thank all of you AHS students for watching

Remember to follow us on twitter @ahsdailybird and check out our website at thedailybird.org for all your redbird information

And don’t forget to follow us on Snapchat @ahsdailybird